Thursday, September 13, 2007

Subsistance

This year and last, when moose hunting season first began we had inservice. This works for the students that go hunting that week, but most of us will keep going until we get our moose. We just take our kids out, because this time is important than anything the school can offer. Beside this year our school implemented a new attendance policy, that myself and others literally faught for, and that is if the child is doing allright in school with a C or better they don't have to worry about being kicked out. Last year's policy gave students 15 days regardless if it was for a funeral, it was up to the discression of the SI I believe, but it was shady in any regards. The rest of the things like bird hunting, we do on the weekends or like last night, my son and I went out for spruce hens. We do trapping too in the evenings and set them on weekends. The major conflict does seem to be moose hunting.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

Very interesting. Moose hunting--one of the major subsistence activities for most people--takes a back seat to a school inservice. What does that say about what is valued in your community?

Make sure and read Nastasia's comments on subsistence in Russian Mission. Quite a different story.

heatherstoss said...

Noel,
I am sorry that the parents aren't taking more interest in the meetings especially if they have so much to say. I saw the thread you started on the McGrath website. I found it very interesting and thought-provoking. I say good job!
Take care, Heather